Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:24:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jrsysadmin@empireone.net, khetan@os.org.za, mark@intrepid.net
Subject:   Re: Mass Email

>From: "James" <jrsysadmin@empireone.net>
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:57:28 -0700

>I have to make a change on our system.
>How do I go about emailing all of the users on the system
>with out giving each of my users my user list?

There are various approaches.

Basically, you need to arrange for the mail to be sent in a way that
doesn't include the individual addresses in the (retained) headers.

And since you're asking the question, I would presume that you also need
a way to generate a list of users' email addresses.  (A way to avoid
this latter concern is to have a mailing list -- probably moderated
in such a way that only certain folks are permitted to send mail to it
-- that will contain the addresses for each user.  Updating it could be
a regular part of account maintenance.)

One way I ahve accomplished the latter concern is to go through the
"password" data (we use NIS; the same considerations apply for it as to
reading the local /etc/passwd file), extracting the information for all
users within a certain range of UIDs, then using a hand-maintained "stop
list" to cull the entries that should not remain.

As for generating the mail... bear in mind that you do not want the
tools you use to do this to be too accessible:  as with most such tols,
they have their good uses (as you intend), and they have not-so-good
uses; a typical one that applies in this case is spamming.

With that warning, if you have a working sendmail configuration, you
could just fabricate a file: