Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 20:56:15 -0500
From:      pauls@utdallas.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it recommended to allow all outgoing connections from your firewall??

--==========00492A532B22D0C1F702==========

--On May 10, 2006 6:22:11 PM -0700 Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>=20
wrote:

> I've seen most people allow all outgoing traffic
> originating from the firewall itself... Is this really
> recommended?? What if the machine have been
> compromised and the intruder have installed a program
> that let's him access the machine remotely by having
> the program itself to initiate the outgoing connection
> to him thus defying the incoming connection firewall
> ruleset...

Because if the machine has been compromised, it doesn't *matter* what the=20
outgoing ruleset is.  Or what anything else is, for that matter.

If I hack your box, one of the first things I'm going to do is install a=20
rootkit.  Then I'm going to wipe the logs of any evidence of my entry (but=20
leave them intact otherwise), clean my tracks from the shell history file=20
and remove any other evidence of my presence.  "Bypassing" your firewall=20
rules is the least of my worries.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas