Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 device timeout without conflict

Hi again.

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Siegbert Baude wrote:

[little snip]

> So, to the kernel stuff:
>=20
> >=20
> > Another thing with PNP... In the 3.x line, there was a "pnp" command
> > available in the kernel userconfig. The pnp(4) manpage in 4.1 confirms
> > that, I can't access that command. When trying to compile a kernel with=
:
> >=20
> > controller pnp0
> >=20
> > as advised in the pnp(4) manpage, I get a warning about the fact that t=
he
> > 'controller' keyword is deprecated, and to use the 'device' keyword
> > instead.
> >=20
> > When using the 'device' keyword, it tells me that 'pnp' is an unknown
> > device!
> >=20
> > This is not funny anymore. I have a PnP modem here that I _have_ to set=
up
> > properly, and I used to do it using the pnp tool. Same with the AWE32
> > sound card. (this one, however, is properly detected, thanks to the pcm
> > driver, but set to IRQ 5, which is usually used by sio2, my modem...)
>=20
> "controller" disappeared completely in 4.x (it=B4s all "device" now), as
> did "pnp" as user controlled device. The kernel is supposed to do all
> the PnP stuff correct by itself.

Yeah.. Right. This is way too much like windows that sets all by itself
and that you're screwed if it's doing it wrong.=20

I liked the pnp option, and I don't see why it has been removed,
really. The pnp(4) manpage says it's still there, and the FAQ too. This
must be fixed.=20

Cf: http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/book.html#AEN1395

By the way, from what I read there, all I need is to hack a little code to
get my modem recognized. Once it's done, can I merge this change back into
the tree? :)

> So you have to compile in PS/2 support if you can=B4t disable this in you=
> BIOS (did you look for newer BIOS versions? On my ASUS P2B I can control
> all onboard stuff).

This would be a good idea.. :)
=20
> And you should NOT disable this on booting or in the appropriate
> conf-file. Just don=B4t use PS/2.=20

Been there, done that, not working. Grr. :) PS/2 is not probed/recognized
at boot (just _nothing_) and I still get ed0 device timeout.

> This is true for me also for
> USB for example (the USB is enabled in the BIOS to make it possible to
> check out some USB stuff for colleagues under Win98; I never use it in
> FreeBSD, but kernel module is compiled in, to enable the kernel to
> recognize the used IRQ).=20

USB is disabled in my BIOS, for all I know. I think the only setting I can
change is the "usb keyboard" option...

What I don't understand is why my kernel is recognizing USB even if it's
not compiled in! I mean, dmesg tells me that USB _is_ compiled in since it
probes and al, but it's not in my config file!!!
=20
> > > Another point to your NIC. Is it a combo version with 10base-2 and
> > > 10base-T ?
> >=20
> > Nope. Plain 10baseT/UTP. Twisted-pair. Not coax. (that's T/UTP, right?)
>=20
> UTP=3D unshielded twisted pair

Yep. UTP.
=20
> > It is a crappy ISA NIC, however. Could it be a hardware problem, in the
> > sense that the card is broken? I just bought it second-hand..
>=20
> I think, you said it works under Win? Then it=B4s o.k. :-)

Well it 'works' in the sense that it is recognized and probed and i can
change IRQ/port settings, but I havent been able to setup the network on
windows either, altought this might be an altogether different problem.=20

In fact, the major problem is that I do not have another machine setup
properly to probe the one I'm testing. Kinda chicken and egg...

What I have setup here are 2 machines linked together with a
cross-over.. Should it work right "out of the box" in windoze? I mean,
after setting IPs in "Network"? This is off-topic, of course... but I want
to see where I'm going here..

So I can't say that it's not working in windows because of the NIC,
because it might be the other machine that's screwed. :(( Windows is not
very chatty about its problems. All I can do is to try to ping the remote
(which case I get Dest. not reach. ) or open the stupid "network
neighborhood" icon and see nothing there. Not much of an help...

So it might just be hardware, right?=20
=20
> > I have looked into the BIOS for PS/2 settings, and I can't find any.
> >=20
> > The only thing regarding IRQ 12 I could find was wether I must assign t=
he
> > resource to "PCI/PnP" or "Legacy ISA", and this is a toggle available f=
or
> > all IRQs in the "PNP/PCI Config." menu. These toggles are available
> > when I choose "resource controlled by _manual_" instead of 'auto'.
>=20
> In this menu you have to toggle all IRQs to "Legacy ISA", which are used
> by NON-PnP cards (e.g. the IRQ used by your NIC). The BIOS won=B4t use
> them anymore for PnP-cards then. I don=B4t know if the FreeBSD algorithms
> are influenced by this settings, but I have them set correctly just in
> case.

Ok. I have already set irq 12 to 'legacy', same with 3 and 4 (my com
ports).=20

No luck.

I really think I'm going to turn this freaking card back to the owner with
a baseball bat. :)

My next step is now to try to upgrade that stupid BIOS (another thing I
like about alphas.. shell-like BIOS! Very impressive) and then burn the
NIC in a voodoo ritual then get another one. :))

Thanks for your help, you're the first person that acknowledge the
disparition of the 'controller' and pnp options and that's good to
hear... :))

A.

Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora