Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 01:02:08 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Peter Kok" <cckok00@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: radius server

I've got several ICRADIUS servers set up on FreeBSD.  ICRadius
is very, very slick.  It's a modified Cistron radius server that
uses mysql to store the userID's and check and reply items.
There's 2 cgi web interfaces that come with it, one for the
administrator and one for the end-users.  You can pull all kinds of
queries out of it, from listing amount of time a particular user
has logged in, to the login seessions for a NAS port, all in
real time.  It's also got support for limiting simultaneous
logins and such as well.

It's greatly helped our techs out because now when we get fools
that call in complaining "your dialup server's down I haven't been
able to log in for 2 weeks" they can go in there and see that the
user's had 4 30 minute sessions in sequence, 2 hours earlier.
Another fun one are the users that call in cancelling service and
then claim that they "haven't used your service for 3 months now"
we used to have to run these icky Perl scripts on the accounting
data that would take a lot of time to cough up an answer, with
ICRadius you just key in a query into a webpage and within seconds
you have the user's history for however long you want to go back.
Best of all since it's SQL-based you can have a dozen techs in there
running queries and the server doesen't care.

There's even a set of PHP front ends for it (although admittedly they
are crude) so if you want to integrate it into an existing PHP-driven
front end you have an example right there for you.

I've used several radius servers under different UNIXes and I'll never

My only caution is that to get all this goodness it is very complicated
to set up, there's a lot of parts and you need to understand Radius
servers and how Radius works and how to properly limit simultaneous
logins and all that before you start mucking with it.  A little SQL
wouldn't hurt either.