Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:44:40 +0200
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs fails to mount correctly during 8.2 -> 9.0 update

Hi all.

I'm writing it just in case someone else will face this problem.

Some days ago I was moving my last server from 8.2 to 9.0. At first I
had installed kernel with:

  make KODIR=/boot/test installkernel

and rebooted. At loader prompt I selected this kernel with:

  unload
  boot-conf /boot/test

After that 9.0 kernel was loaded with 8.2 userland. I know this is not
the right-and-only-one way of updating FreeBSD but it works for me
through releases. But this time something strange happened. During
system mount kernel spits out something like:

  Solaris: WARNING: metaslab_free_dva(): bad DVA 0:52834975928475

It was something like one page of this lines.

The pool seems to be mounted readonly and refused to remount writable.
It return zero empty space and status stated something about stopped
scrub. Second pull was writable and working. However I haven't updated
the userland so I just rebooted back to 8.2 kernel.

Machine comes back online at full health. Everything stated both pools
are healthy and working. Scrub doesn't yield any results - not a single
error.

I wiped /usr/obj and rebuilt everything from a scratch. After planting a
test kernel and booting from it everything worked fine so I continued
with upgrade. After upgrade was committed and pools were updated to
ZFSv28 I repeated scrub on both. There was no single error.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.