Date:      Sun, 21 May 2006 12:56:21 -0700
From:      "Kip Macy" <kip.macy@gmail.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is now self-hosting on the UltraSPARC T1

On 5/21/06, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 10:19:58PM -0700, Kip Macy wrote:
> > I'm proud to announce that FreeBSD on the T1 is now stable enough that
> > it can "make buildworld" natively.
>
> Excellent work!
Thanks.

> When can I start breaking it? :)

As soon as someone can provide you with a T1000 or T2000 - I think
Paul may already have one.  I went out of my way to make sure that:

export MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=3D<objpath>; make buildworld TARGET_ARCH=3Dsparc64
TARGET=3Dsun4v; make buildkernel TARGET_ARCH=3Dsparc64 TARGET=3Dsun4v; su;
make installworld TARGET_ARCH=3Dsparc64 TARGET=3Dsun4v DESTDIR=3D<path>;
make installkernel TARGET_ARCH=3Dsparc64 TARGET=3Dsun4v DESTDIR=3D<path>;

would just work straight out of perforce.

I ended up doing make -j8 buildworld because make -j32 exposed a panic
inducing race in NFS about 30 minutes in.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of locking contention
we're getting in the kernel.

 -Kip