Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 13:10:07 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeze due to performance_cx_lowest=LOW

Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago I installed CURRENT on my new home PC and noticed that
> the system would hang hard at the boot time soon after setting
> cx_lowest to C3 according to the LOW setting in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> The last message on the console was each time: Mounting NFS file
> systems:.  Setting performance_cx_lowest to HIGH made the problem
> go away.
>
> Now I've just tried again to return performance_cx_lowest to its
> modern default setting in a fresh CURRENT and found that the bug
> is still there.  Is it due to my ACPI HW being broken?  I'll be
> glad to show relevant debug output from my ACPI if told how to get
> it.  Thanks.

disable apic (hint.apic.0.disabled="1").  I isolated this a little while
ago to the change to enable LAPIC timer.  However, there is currently no
easy way to disable the LAPIC timer with APIC enabled so you have to
disable APIC.  jhb@ and I have been discussing how to do this better but
no easy answers apparently.

--
Nate