Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:25:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee (Narvi)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, token@wicx50.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REQ: help from Emacs/XEmacs/Jove/Jed/... users

Narvi stands accused of saying:

> > It's too big.  This was the original complaint, and it hasn't gotten
> > any smaller since.  Zile sounds pretty good by comparison.
>
> Two big?
>
> # ll /usr/local/bin/pico
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  12288 Apr 24 10:35 /usr/local/bin/pico

That's the stub.  Add the shared library.

> Yes, pico does make use of a 160K shared library, but it shares it with
> pilot (a kind of file browser) and pine. Besides, I am not very sure,
> whetever pico needs everything that is in /usr/local/lib/pico, most
> probably a libpicolite could be made that contained only the functions
> needed and used by pico.

... which is what I suggested to Chuck, and he is now pursuing.

There's nothing terribly _wrong_ with ee; certainly the novice users I've
run into so far are quite happy with it over vi.  The only people that
really gripe about it are the ones that wish it was their favorite editor,
whatever that might be.

If I thought TurboVision could be used to make a small 'edit' like editor,
I'd suggest _that_ as much better again.