Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:52:32 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        01031149@3web.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp transfer rates on my LAN

"Duke Normandin" writes:
> I'm kinda like a monkey trying to copulate a football/soccer ball when it
> comes to my new toy --- my mickey-mouse 10baseT LAN ;,)
>
> Anyway..... ftped my first file from win95 to 3.3R box. I'm curious about
> the transfer rate that follows:
>
> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'dr703.exe'.
> 226 Transfer complete.
> ftp: 6243908 bytes sent in 18.40Seconds 339.34Kbytes/sec.
>
> Is this an acceptable transfer rate? If it's not, is there anything that I
> can do with my existing hardware - 3c509 <CAT 5e x-over> Compaq Netflex ?
> Would setting both to full duplex (if possible) help? Tia....

Its not unusually low, but it is about 1/3 what 10baseT can do. After
pushing the file, try pulling another copy (to another filename) back.

To your credit, your file was large enough to be a good test. Often
newbies test on 100k files or something equally trivial.

My gut feel is the Win95 machine is not going to run any faster. Then
again you don't say what CPU's are used.

Between two FreeBSD 4.1 machines (P-III 450 and 500) on a full duplex
100baseT switch I shot a copy of the 4.1-RELEASE ISO (~650MB) across at
over 8MB/sec. Later played with a 17MB file and got the same on the
first transfer but then pulling it back while it was probably still in
cache on the other 128MB machine resulted in 11MB/sec. fxp0 ethernet on
both ends.

Replacing one of the P-III's with an old AMD 5x86/133, 32MB, FreeBSD
3.5, and a 10/100 de0 ethernet, maxed out at 1.5MB/sec.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net