Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:03:36 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I unformat a man page like /tmp/man.1?

On 2001-12-04 10:16:59, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:04:52AM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > This command
> >
> >     zcat  /usr/share/man/man5/named.conf.5.gz | nroff -mandoc  | less
> >
> > gives dozens of these lines with increasing line numbers (along with
> > occasional spurts of good output):
> >
> >     mdoc warning: Empty input line #19
> >
> Yeah, I know.  New mdoc(7) does a very good job of notifying about bad
> formatted manpages (on stderr), and this manpage is from contrib/bind
> part of the CVS tree, and I have had patches for contrib/ and crypto/
> for almost a year now (see attached).

These are really empty lines.  It's not a problem of the terminal or
of Gary's revision of the manpage.  I checked it here, and he's right,
groff complains for dozens of lines.

Gary has told me in private mail that he will try to get the BIND
developers to correct these errors in their own tree, so that a future
import of BIND sources will bring these cleanly in our CVS tree.

For the moment, the simple work-around is to use grep, in order to
remove whitespace-only lines, before calling groff.

	% zcat manpage.gz | grep -v '^[[:space:]]$' | nroff -mandoc

-giorgos