Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:42:16 +0200
From:      Yann Berthier <Yann.Berthier@hsc.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: traceroute using tcp to a port?

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Leif Neland wrote:

> If I understand correctly, traceroute works by sending pings with ttl=1,
> ttl=2,ttl=3 etc and records the names of the routers where the ttl reaches
> zero.
>
> However, an increasing number of sites believes in security by obscurity,
> and blocks for pings.
>
> Would the same technique work for making a telnet to port 80 with ttl=1,
> ttl=2 etc?
>
> Leif

Of course it works, and very well. You should try hping
(http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/hping/) which is a _very cool_ tool
developped by Antirez. With it you could do (among many things)
traceroute over tcp.

regards,

--
Yann BERTHIER                               Yann.Berthier@hsc.fr
Network Security Consultant             Herve Schauer Consultant