Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2014 14:59:35 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsd spam in /var/log/messages

On 07/29/14 13:48, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Russell L. Carter:

> The "directories within a file system" exports are only enforced by
> the Mount protocol that NFSv3 uses to talk to mountd. (NFSv4 does not
> use the Mount protocol.) These are considered "administrative controls",
> which is a nice way of saying "they aren't actually enforced by the kernel
> because there is no easy way to do so, but will discourage trivial attempts
> to do NFSv3 mounts".
>
> Personally, I've never liked these "administrative controls", but others
> feel they are useful (introduced long long ago by SunOS) and getting rid
> of them would be considered a POLA violation. (This was one of the reasons
> why nfse was never adopted as a replacement for mountd.)
>
> Various people have tried to clarify this in "man exports". Any patches
> that improve this will be appreciated. (It just seems to be a difficult
> thing to explain.)

I performed two more experiments with more than one "V4:" line in
exports(5) (all zfs sharenfs=on filesystems):

V4: /export/usr
V4: /export/library

and

V4: /export
V4: /export2

but mountd complains e.g.: "different V4 dirpath /export/usr"
(Note that the

So to tighten up just slightly the situation as you have described it:

"There can only be one NFSv4 root filesystem per server, and any client
 host granted NFSv4 access to any subdirectory of that root exported
 filesystem can also mount any other subdirectory of the root exported
 filesystem."

Why not just say this in exports(5)?  As I originally observed,
another way of saying this is that for -sec=sys, no per-host (or
per-network) access control for the subdirectories of the single
NFSv4 exported filesystem is possible.

I don't actually think very much is problematical about this
situation, because w/o krb5 the protocol is insecure (IMHO).  I was
just very curious what the current state of play was, *exactly*.

Anyway, thanks for your patience explaining this stuff to me.

Ok, I think that I can stop gnawing on this bone now...

Best,
Russell