Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 1998 07:28:11 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        blp-lds@texas.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Needed Help for FreeBSD v2.2.5

On Fri, Feb 06, 1998 at 08:49:09PM -0600, Bryan Parkoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I am new to FreeBSD v2.2.5.  I have a complete FreeBSD manual book.
> I have several questions to ask.  Please answer each questions.

I've Cc:'ed this to the correct mailing-list - that is,
FreeBSD-questions.  FreeBSD-doc is for discussing documentation and
how to make it better :-)

>     I have Sound Blaster 32 AWE PnP with ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM.  Why FreeBSD
> has only two IDE controller cards on both IRQ 14 and IRQ 15?  I mean
> that it supports first and second IDE controller cards.  Sound Blaster
> 32 AWE uses IRQ 5 and CD-ROM uses IRQ 10.  Do I have to tell FreeBSD to
> use third IDE controller card?  Or I can change from second IDE
> controller card IRQ 15 to IRQ 10 and 0x170 address to 0x168.  I am sure
> that it will work.

If you're not already using the 2nd IDE controller, you can change it.
If you have two IDE controllers on-boad, I'd recommending using both
of them instead of using the one on the Sound Blaster, though - it
will be faster.

>     My hard disk drive has 2484 cylinders, 16 heads, and 63 sectors.
> Should I change disk geometry because FreeBSD does not support more than
> 1024 cylinders?  Like 621 cylinders, 64 heads, and 63 sectors?

(All of this is discussed at length in the FAQ and handbook, at
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/ and http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/,
respectively.)

I'm fairly certain FreeBSD actually support more than 1024 cylinders.
The only restriction is that the root partition (the partition for /,
which the kernel is loaded from) has to fit below the 1024-cylinder
boundary.  This isn't because of a restriction in FreeBSD - rather, it
is because of a restriction in the BIOS API (programming interface)
which doesn't let the bootloader talk to BIOS about larger cylinder
numbers.

If you're only going to run FreeBSD on your computer, I'd recommend
_not_ telling FreeBSD to use a 'true partition entry'.  Then the
problem becomes moot (the disk geometry becomes uninteresting, because
everything collapses to a reference to sector 0).

>     I am not sure which User, X-User, Developer, X-Developer, all other
> software to be installed.  Can you please advise me to choose the best
> installation?

It depends on your needs :-) Read the descriptions of each carefully,
and then evaluate what you want to spend disk space on.  For a
personal workstation for a programmer, I'd recommend X-Developer, but
it is really up to you.

>     I read chapter seven and chapter eight in the complete FreeBSD
> manual book.  I am trying to install, but error message says that file
> is not found.  Look at below.
>
> # cd /usr
> # for i in /cdrom/XF86331/X331*.tgz; do
> #  tar xvf $i
> # done

This should not be necessary.  You should get X 'all by yourself' when
you select it from the sysinstall menu.

>     I do not understand why FreeBSD does not accept programming like C++
> language.

?

FreeBSD accept C++ fine - the C++ compiler is named 'c++'.

Or are you talking about different forms of shell scripting - you'll
probably want to select a different shell than the default, which I'm
certain Greg talk about in 'The Complete FreeBSD'.

>     Please give me more information where I can use step on step
> installation.  The complete FreeBSD manual book does not have step on
> step installation.

Here's a shell script to generate a step-by-step guide:

#!/usr/local/bin/zsh

echo 1. Download and write diskette from ftp.freebsd.org
echo 2. Boot from diskette
for step in {1..10000}
do
	echo ${step}. Read and follow onscreen instructions for this step.
        echo "  Refer to online documentation at http://www.freebsd.org/ if"
	echo "  you get any trouble"
done

Really, it is simple.  You shouldn't get into any trouble just
following the onscreen instructions - and if they're unclear, then
_that_ is somthing this mailing list (freebsd-doc@freebsd.org) is
fairly appropriate for - tell us that 'this screen was hard to
understand', preferably with a suggestion for alternate wording :-)