Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:46:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Lowe <dlowe@sirius.com>
To:        "Darrin R. Woods" <dwoods@netgazer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with sendmail security hacks

Darrin -

The relay denial rule at www.sendmail.org is not as "nice" as it could be,
and can be terribly inconvenient if you host a lot of domains.  If you do
use it, sendmail.cR should be a file containing domain names which *are*
allowed to relay through your mail server, but are not in the $=w class
(domains which are considered local), i.e.:

foo.com
bar.net

I personally use a different approach, basing my relay allowing on the IP
address of the connecting machine (since we host many, many domain names
and only have a couple dozen class Cs, it's easier to keep track of.  This
also means that a temporary dns error won't cause relay denial for one of
our clients.)

This would be done via (roughly):

# Netblocks we consider local for relaying purposes
F{LocalIP} /etc/sendmail/LocalIP

Scheck_rcpt
# get the client's IP address
R$+                             $: $(dequote "" $&{client_addr} $) $| $1
# if it's directly invoked (i.e. alias or .forward - IP is 0) it's ok
R0 $| $*                        $@ ok
# if it's one of the class Cs in the LocalIP macro, it's ok
R$={LocalIP}$* $| $*            $@ ok
# we want to check the recipient address next...
R$* $| $*                       $: $>3 $2
# if it's in sendmail.cw, it's a local delivery so it's ok
# Otherwise, we're not responsible
R$*	                        $#error $@ 5.7.1 $: 571 Relaying Denied

Where the LocalIP file contains either complete or partial network
addresses:

127.0.0.1
10.10
10.11.159