Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:11:43 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, "Brock Kreiser" <root63@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: firewall

In message <5.1.0.14.0.20011011094352.00b022e8@rfnj.org>, Allen
Landsidel write
s:
> At 06:24 AM 10/11/2001 -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> >Having said all that, you will have to seriously open your firewall in
> >order to make FTP work properly through your firewall.  Even if you
> >restrict your FTP clients to using PORT (active) FTP, people can still
> >use an FTP bounce to map or even gain access to other hosts and ports
> >behind the firewall through your FTP server.  These are two of the
>
> Can I get something clarified here?  Judging by the tone of that statement,
> do you advocate using PORT over PASV?

No tone was intended.  I've had the flu since Tuesday and am very
crabby.  :(

PORT FTP should be used when the FTP server is protected by a firewall
that does not support an FTP proxy.  Passive FTP should be used when
the client is protected by a firewall that does that support an FTP
proxy.  If both client and server are protected by firewalls that don't
support FTP proxies, you're pretty much SOL.  (There is a thread
currently on the IP Filter mailing list about just this topic).

> I agree standalone FTP has some pretty bad security implications, including
> hijacked sessions and password sniffing.. but that's what we have ftp-only
> users for.  Passive mode I think is a far safer alternative than active
> also, as far as blowing holes in your firewall goes.

See my comments above.  Passive FTP is safer for clients, PORT FTP is
safer for servers, hence the dilemma.  Who (server or client)
sacrifices their protection provided by their firewall in order to make
the FTP protocol work from behind opposing firewalls?

The FTP protocol allows you to use an FTP server as a proxy to connect
to a third FTP server.  One can use this feature of the FTP protocol to
connect to other servers behind the same firewall as an FTP server.  It
is conceivable that one could use an FTP server to connect to arbitrary
ports or even servers behind the same firewall that protects the FTP
server.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC