Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:42:06 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   NetGear MA401 problems on -CURRENT...

I've effectively nuked two laptops in the last few days and I don't
know why.  One was running DP1 before I sup'ped and upgraded on July
30th, the other was a July 18th sup that I upgraded to July 30th too.
A few of the symptoms (I'm sufficiently stumped):

*) If I ping my gateway, I experience massive packet loss (upwards of
 ~90% for ICMP traffic).  Occasionally I'll get a DUP ICMP response (3
 packets in 50 are DUPs and normally happen closer to the end of the
 test).

*) The entire IP suite is horked (ICMP, UDP, TCP) and I'm wondering if
 this has something to do with any of the recent hostap/wi changes.

*) This is happening on two different DELL Latitude's (more or less
 identical machines) on kernels post July 18th, both with NetGear
 MA401's.

*) If I use ping and tcpdump, I see ICMP echo coming back via tcpdump,
 however ping is showing me a 100% packet loss.  If I watch a TCP
 session, I see the remote host sending a packet to the laptop several
 times because the application (ssh, nslookup, telnet, ping, etc) on
 the laptop isn't acknowledging that it's received the packet.  In the
 case of DNS will perform the same lookup twice (failing most of the
 time) because the application never sees the response packet.  The
 same behavior happens for all IP packet types.

*) If I type _REAL_ slow, I can sometimes type a few commands on a
 remote box via SSH, but if I do anything that sends any amount of
 data to stdout, the connection will eventually time out (ex: cat
 /etc/motd).  I'm wondering if it's an MTU problem or, if this only
 happened to TCP), a window sizing issue.  ::shrug::

I've never seen anything like this before and am at a loss as to where
to start debugging/looking for fixes.  netstat -in shows 0 errors on
the interface too.  Does this make any sense to anyone?  -sc

PS I've turned off all firewalls so unless ipfw2 is doing something
with an accept all policy, I should be free and clear of any
entanglements in that dept.  :~)

--
Sean Chittenden