Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:59:28 +0100
From:      "Vinco Maldini" <vincomaldini@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unexpected Soft Update Inconsistency / Cannot Read: Blk

I recently built a FreeBSD 4.7 Release file server that has a brand new
80GB Wester Digital 7200RPM drive in it. Yesterday the box suffered two
power outages and a possible powersurge.

Today I decided that it would be a good idea to check on the state of
the file system and the result is attached below. I was unable to clean
the file system.

I've got just two questions that hopefully someone can help with:

1) What does the result below mean? (Is my drive failing? Why can't I
clean the FS?)

2) Are there any BSD tools for reading the SMART data off the Hard Disk
so that I can see whether it is about to fail or currently experiencing
HW failure. Any other ways to check for bad sectors?

TIA

--------- START SCREEN SNIPPET --------------------

mojo# fsck /dev/ad2s1e
** /dev/ad2s1e
** Last Mounted on /data
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes

CANNOT READ: BLK 152744928
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152744946,

CANNOT READ: BLK 152745312
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152745393,

CANNOT READ: BLK 152746208
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152746289,

CANNOT READ: BLK 152747104
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152747184,

CANNOT READ: BLK 152748128
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152748173,

CANNOT READ: BLK 152748512
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152748621,

CANNOT READ: BLK 152749024
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152749068,

CANNOT READ: BLK 152749408
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 152749516,
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
33755 files, 16020305 used, 22442867 free (12539 frags, 2803791 blocks,
0.0% fragmentation)

***** FILE SYSTEM MARKED DIRTY *****

***** PLEASE RERUN FSCK *****