Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:54:16 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Delete Key

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, William Palfreman wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Andrew J Caines wrote:
>
> > Sanjay,
> >
> > > I want to make the DEL key work while working with the bash shell itself.
> >
> > # stty erase ^V<del>
> >
> > Put it in your .bash_profile if this is really what you want every time
> > you log in.
>
> Doesn't work.
>
> $ stty erase [press ^V, press del, enter]
>
> del continues to behave as a destructive backspace
>
> > Out of curiosity, why do you want delete to behave like backspace?
>
> He doesn't.  He wants his Del key to delete the character on the cursor
> (^D) and the backspace key to delete to the left of the cursor (^H).
> Currently they both are destructive backspaces.  I can't understand the
> FreeBSD schizophrenia about del.  It is a *PC* operating system. Ever
Sorry, but FreeBSD is UNIX at first. And mobility is important (and now
fbsd is not only PC OS). I didn't work with Alpha systems, and not sured
that Del is present there :+)

> since I stopped using Wordstar in 1986 backspace has deleted backwards
> and del has deleted forwards on a PC.  Why is this so hard?  XFree86
> manages it xmodmap. Its not even usful having two backspaces (backspace
> and del), as they are both doing exactly the same thing at present.
Then why our PC keyboard has 2 Ctrl's, Alt's, Shift's ? When i work with
vi backspace (or even ^H) is more suitable, but when pkg used require
arrows, del is in use.

> There should be a simply way to map ^D to del.  Usually any request to
> do this get fobbed off with "RTFM, man stty"  Done that, googled for it,
> neither says simply how to make del behave like ^D on a console.
Yes tty in general is dev, suited for 'GENERIC' hardware. This must b
changed, but, imho, is not 'first-thing-to-change-in-fbsd'...
I'll try to look into kbdcontrol sources to add this feature, when I'll
have time for this. Then i'll try to post it to freebsd team.

> --
> W. Palfreman.

With best regards, Alexander