Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 01:19:48 -0700
From:      "Brent Hostetler" <brenthostetler@gmail.com>
To:        "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror/gconcat: mkdir causes system reboot

On 7/30/06, R. B. Riddick <arne_woerner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Brent Hostetler <brenthostetler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > mode 04277 inum=12258433 fs=/usr/local/smbshares
> > panic: ffs_vallov: dup alloc
> >
> I say, did u try a fsck on that file system?
> It looks more like an file system related problem.
>
> I would try an
>   fsck -n ...
> first (just in case there is a configuration error; e. g.: I had a gstripe and
> had to re-label it, but I forgot the original stripe size, so that the fsck-run
> destroyed almost the whole file system).
>
> -Arne

Fsck -n ran for quite a few hours and indeed showed lotsssss of
errors. Where these errors came from I am confused? Unless they came
about when I added a new disk a few weeks ago and did a growfs.

Well, I detached the spares from the mirrors that made up the gcocat
data mount. Then I ran fsck -y /dev/concat/DATA.. I had to continually
run this command about four-five times over about 4 hours before
marked clean.

The runs consisted of things such as:

311282919243014689 BAD I=122259928
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

-36191552698910622 BAD I=122259928
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

EXCESSIVE BAD BLKS I=122374685
CONTINUE? yes

EXCESSIVE BAD BLKS I=122437538
COUNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=146374145
UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=147458625
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=149175296
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CLEAR? yes

PARTIALLY ALLOCATED INODE I=150172536
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

YOU MUST RERUN FSCK AFTERWARDS
DIRECTORY ?: CONTAINS EMPTY BLOCKS
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

ADJUST LENGTH? yes

These errors repeated for about  3meg log file of errors.

After this, mount clean but lost 220 Gigs of data!!! So I created new
concat from the spares and mounted and all the data is there and is
readable! So Im in the process of copying from the spare drives to the
main...

What would have caused this madness and why no errors showing up in
logs, or when the system boots and fsck is run in background??

How can I prevent this in the future?

This is a home server, and because of the large size of the data
(700GIGs + and growing) I cannot  backup a large percent of the data.
My only failsafe is the mirroring which has saved me a few times.. ( I
know its not a backup, but its better then nothing! )

Thanks!