Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:40:31 -0800
From:      Eric Von Dollen <evondollen@earthlink.net>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

Over the past three years I've attempted to install FreeBSD on three machines.
The first two installed relatively painlessly and served me faithfully and well.
I'm having a much harder time with the latest install and am hoping you can
give me some suggestions.

I am trying to install the latest 3.0 release to a 450 Mhz Pentium II Micron Millenia
with a 10 Gb disk on the primary master IDE and a Sony CDROM drive on the primary
slave IDE, I believe.  Windows98 and Windows NT install from CD and operate without
problem.

I have tried most permutations and combinations of installation and have run through
the installation prodedures more than ten times.  Invariably, whether I boot from
floppy or boot from CD (both get me started) installation fails at the Choose Installation
Media screen when I select CDROM as the media.  The failure message is the
"Message: No CDROM devices found ... ".

I have tried minimal and maximal device configurations for both scenarios with the same result.
The only thing that appears fishy is a long pause (~20 seconds) at:

wd0 probed - 9671 Mb

and a longer pause (>1 minute) immediately following at:

wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa

The probe dialog panel displays for about five seconds as the disk rumbles immediately following this.

I have twiddled an awful lot with usrconfig to no avail.

Can you give me some hints?  Am I out of luck with the Millenia (specs at www.micronpc.com).
It seems weird that I can boot off the CD but not read it later.  I read through the FAQS at
freebsd.org with no luck on this problem.  Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help,
Eric Von Dollen
evondollen@earthlink.net
(925)947-6618