Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:23:47 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <jspedron@club-internet.fr>
To:        Kalev Lember <kalev@colleduc.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Read-only ReiserFS support for FreeBSD 5.x

--------------enigBA40501ACAF6E92B81AC58B0

Kalev Lember wrote:
> Good job!

Thanks a lot :)

> One of the things I have missed in FreeBSD is a good journaling
> filesystem. This is one of the places where Linux beats BSD: Linux
> supports far more filesystems that the BSDs do.

This was the first reason why I started this port: after my Linux box
was broken (hardware issue), I couldn't read any of its partitions from
the FreeBSD box. Supporting multiple file-systems is therefore useful in
such cases. The downside of this is that it consumes a lot of time to
support every file-systems; time that could be used on just one.

> Writing a journaling filesystem from scratch is not a trivial thing to
> do, however. Maybe we should consider using ReiserFS or some other
> journaling one as FreeBSD's primary filesystem now that the 6-current is
> branched?
>
> One of the issues with ReiserFS is the licence of course.

If ReiserFS should be integrated to FreeBSD, a rewrite would be a good
thing, because this first port fits the Linux VFS "phylosophy" and
doesn't take advantage of FreeBSD's one. If 6-CURRENT brings a new VFS,
it could be the occasion to do it.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron
http://www.dumbbell-fr.net/