Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 15:19:47 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        gbeach@cybernet.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal clock

On Tue, Apr 01, 1997 at 09:11:18AM +0100, Glenn Beach wrote:
> I have been searching for an answer to the following question.  Doug
> White at questions@freebsd.org said that you may be able to help.  So
> here it goes:
>
> How can I make time measurements in increments smaller than the clock
> tick?  Specifically, I am running BSD on a Pentium PC which has 128
> clock ticks per second.  Is there any way to improve the resolution?

I'm using gettimeofday which returns:

     struct timeval {
             long    tv_sec;         /* seconds since Jan. 1, 1970 */
             long    tv_usec;        /* and microseconds */
     };

I've no idea of the actual system resolution, but I assume (without
checking the source code) that the kernel will provide the best
resolution available to the system.

BTW a question to the hackers... does anyone have any plans for
adding a real-time scheduling class, aka threads under solaris?
I'm writing some midi software and could really do with a real-time
class thread to handle the timing subsystem.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser
Technical Manager       Email: joe@pavilion.net