Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:42:13 -0800
From:      obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
To:        rls@mail.id.net (Robert Shady)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Differential vs. Standard

Robert Shady writes:
> Basically, I have the opportunity to grab a couple unused spare Seagate
> ST-410800WD hard drives, 9GB, Fast/Wide, Differential, 68 pin connectors.
> I will be able to get these drives at about 25% less than my cost through
> Ingram Micro, TechData, Mersiel, etc... (Which are all out of stock BTW).
>
> 2. What exactly does "Differential" mean?  Does it help, or hurt?

Differential means you have two wires for every standard SCSI signal.  In
standard SCSI you measure a signal by looking at its voltage level
w/respect to ground.  In differential you measure a SCSI signal by taking
the voltage difference between two the wires associated with that signal.

The advantage is:  with long cables or in an electrically noisy
environment, the signals in your cables are affected, but ground isn't.
Thus you don't read the signals correctly.  W/differential, the signal in
each of the two wires are *both* equally affected.  Thus you get a
correct reading.

Differential drives allow you to use *much* longer SCSI cables.  This is
often an issue with large external backup tape silos, optical jukeboxes
and other terrabyte storage.

--
-- David	(obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)