Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:50:55 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@discerning.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: local changes to CVS tree

Mark D. Anderson <mda@discerning.com> types:
> as for the other areas you mention, perforce does not directly support repository-to-repository
> replication, nor disconnected operations.
> i do not know if perforce supports branching against a "remote depot"; i suspect something
> like that would accomplish the same goal.
> but maybe not.

Perforce permits branching from a remote depot, but not to a remote
depot - they are read-only.  If the goal is to replicate the remote
depot, this won't do it. If the goal is to keep local changes to
remote depot, it works very well. It will require you to be online to
do source udpates, though.

While perforce doesn't let you work with it while disconnected, there
is a simple procedure to integrate changes made locally while
disconnected back to the depot.

Personally, I'd love to have access to FreeBSD source via a perforce
remote host. On the other hand, I'm biased.

	<mike