Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:50:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tiarnan O'Corrain <ocorrain@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wireless networking with DHCP "tickets"

Hello--

I'm trying to use a hotel wireless network effectively. I can connect
perfectly, and surf/do email, and so forth. However, I have to
re-authenticate to the server every 2 minutes (the length of
DHCP lease handed out).

According to Orange WiFi, this is because the DHCP server sends
some kind of a keep-alive ticket to the client every 2 minutes, and
if the client does not respond, the lease is revoked.

This functionality seems to rely on some non-standard features of the
Microsoft Windows 2K/XP dhcp client, or wireless networking driver,
since the same problem occurs on Macs and Linux.

My question is -- has anyone heard of this kind of setup before? The
drill is, one purchases a scratch card from the hotel test with a
username/password pair, that is valid for a certain amount of
time (e.g. 14 hours). Has anyone succeeded in getting authentication
to stick with FreeBSD in such a configuration?

Regards

Tiarnan O Corrain