Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2019 17:43:24 +0100
From:      Christian Barthel <bch@online.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: siginfo_t content

John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> See the siginfo(3) manpage.  SI_TIMER is described there as:
>
>     SI_TIMER             signal generated by expiration of a
>                          timer set by timer_settime(2)
>
> It is not for setitimer.  Similarly, si_addr is usually only specified for
> synchronous signals and usually holds the PC of the faulting instruction
> except for SIGSEGV when it holds the faulting virtual address.

Thanks for your reply.
Ah, yes, siginfo(3) has more details on siginfo_t (missed that
one; sorry).  This clarifies my question.
I've looked up the POSIX standard but I haven't seen a reason why
si_addr is only set for SIGSEGV and "only" a few others - are
there reasons for this?

--
Christian Barthel <bch@online.de>