Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2008 01:26:18 -0700
From:      Benjamin Lee <ben@b1c1l1.com>
To:        Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating a port with problems (libxml2)

--------------enig7FDE356EC34C1FE6460077EF

On 10/17/08 01:01, Colin Brace wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I use portsnap to keep the port tree of my FreeBSD 7 box up to date.
> According to portaudit, which I run nightly, there is a problem with th=
> current version of libxml2. So, as usual, I run  "sudo portsnap fetch &=
&
> sudo portsnap update", and then:=20

Note that 'portsnap fetch update' will accomplish the same thing.

> $ cd /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2
> $ sudo make deinstall
> $ sudo make reinstall clean
>=20
> But this last command results in an error:
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D>  libxml2-2.6.32 has known vulnerabilities:
> =3D> libxml2 -- two vulnerabilities.
>    Reference:
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/d71da236-9a94-11dd-8f42-001c251=
4716c.html>
> =3D> Please update your ports tree and try again.
>=20
> It would appear that the port has not yet been updated. Is this some
> temporary glitch? Otherwise, the approach I use is not very robust, sin=
ce I
> have now managed to deinstall a library upon which a dozen or so progra=
ms
> depend. However, this is the first time this has happened.
>=20
> Comments, suggestions most welcome.

To get libxml2 reinstalled before the port is bumped you'll want to try
'make -DDISABLE_VULNERABILITIES reinstall'.

In general, it's easier to use portupgrade(1).  See "Using the Ports
Collection"[1] in the FreeBSD Handbook.

[1]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.htm=

--=20