Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:40:06 +0200
From:      Leonhard Wimmer <leo@winf.htu.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot problems with SCSI card

Hi,

  I can't boot my FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE (both with the stock kernel and
with a self-compiled kernel), if my AdvanSys SCSI Host Adapter (ISA,
ABP5140) is installed. The problem was also there while installing
FreeBSD, but I simply removed the SCSI card during the
installation. Without the card everything works perfectly.

  Here is some output during the boot process: (I had to type it off
the screen, because it got never written to disk. Anybody got a
solution for this?)

[...]
adv1: AdvanSys SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, queue depth 16
adv1: <ABP5140> at port 0x110 iomem 0xc8000-0xcffff irq 10
drq 5 on isa0
[...]
Waiting 10 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
[After about 1 minute]
(probe6:adv1:0:6:0): Timed out
(probe6:adv1:0:6:0): Attempting abort
(probe6:adv1:0:6:0): Timed out
(probe6:adv1:0:6:0): Resetting bus
adv1: No longer in timeout
[After about another minute]
(probe5:adv1:0:5:0): Timed out
(probe5:adv1:0:5:0): Attempting abort
(probe5:adv1:0:5:0): Timed out
(probe5:adv1:0:5:0): Resetting bus
adv1: No longer in timeout

  After that output I waited about half an hour (!) and nothing
happened. I don't think that it makes sense to wait any longer.

  There is only one SCSI drive attached to the SCSI card: An internal
Yamaha CD-Writer (4416). Its SCSI ID is 3.  Changing the ID just
results in a slightly different output.  For example if I change it to
6, the output is about timeouts on ID 3 and 5, instead of 6 and
5. With Writer on 4 the output is about ID 3 and 2. And so on. I tried
every SCSI ID, but none works. The SCSI termination is also configured
correctly.

  But I don't think that this is a hardware related problem, because
the same hardware configuration worked perfectly under Linux. (And some
time ago it worked under Windows.)

  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Leo