Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:05:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DPT problem with new boot.flp

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom Samplonius;  On 11-Aug-97 you wrote:
> > >
> > >   I'm having a problem with the new boot.flp from
> > > sendero-ppp.i-connect:/crash/.  Basically, sysinstall hangs during
> > > newfs'ing rsd0s1e.  I turned debugging on, and the last line displayed
> > > was:
> > >
> > > DEBUG: Executing command `newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/rsd0s1e'
> > >

> > >   I can still switch consoles, so it isn't completely hung, but ^C and
> > > CTRL-ALT-DEL do nothing.
> > >
> > >   I used "auto" during the label step, to setup a stock filesystem
> > > layout.
> > >
> > >   I'm using this with a PM334UW on PPro 200 motherboard with 5 4GB drives
> > > setup as RAID-5 array.
> >
> > Which P6 motherboard?  What version of the driver is on that floppy?
> > i have not updated a boot floppy in a long time...
>
>   It is ASUS P6 motherboard.  I don't recall the model, but it one that
> uses a CPU daughtercard.
>
>   The DPT driver on the floppy claims to be 1.1.2
>
>   Another point, that I'm not sure was clear from my original message, is
> this sysinstall newfs's partitions backwards, so it completly newsfs'ed
> rsd0s1f (a 16GB /usr filesystem), then hangs on newfs'ing rsd0s1e (a
> 30MB /var filesystem).
>
> > Simon
> >

> Tom

  It seems that the problem is within sysinstall.  I specified a 200MB
/usr and left the rest of the array unallocated, and sysinstall newfs'ed
it fine.

  Perhaps sysinstall is generating a bogus label when you specify large
filesystems.

  Are people actually using sysinstall from the boot floppy to set up
a system with a DPT?

Tom