Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 04:18:02 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Re[2]: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

X is certainly required for Netscape and based on the recent bitching
on this list about it I think that quite a lot of FreeBSD users must
be running it.

>I'm referring to the OS, not the trademark, but thanks for the information (I
>have often wondered why so many systems that are obviously UNIX are not so
>called).
>
>So is Solaris a UNIX system in this restricted legal sense?

yes, Sun has not only paid whatever fee that TOG is demanding, they have also
met TOG's requirements for branding.  (last I checked one of the requirements
was for licensed Java to be in the UNIX system, thus as you see TOG has
requirements
for UNIX branding that cannot be met by any open source UNIX)