Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2008 13:07:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org>
To:        ulrich@pukruppa.net
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Qemu: bridging on FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE

Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Per Hedeland wrote:
>>
>> Well, 'exit 0' in the script would then have worked too:-)
>Actually: no :-(

Hm, well, at least it should have gotten rid of the

 	/etc/qemu-ifup: could not launch network script
 	Could not initialize device 'tap'

that you got, since the only thing qemu knows about the script is the
exit code when it tries to run it. Though "could not *launch*" does
sound like it wasn't able to run it at all, but I think that's just
unfortunate wording - or else you don't actually have the permissions
that you think on the script.

If it got rid of the message but networking still didn't work, I would
suspect the "0.0.0.0" instead of "up". But in any case, if you do the
ifconfig manually and are happy with that, there's no need to run a
script, as your result with /usr/bin/true shows.

Finally, it's worth noting that testing this stuff and drawing the
correct conclusions is pretty hard, since you keep leaving "state bits"
around - e.g. once you've 'ifconfig up'ed an interface, it remains up
even if you think you're "starting over", and you might incorrectly
conclude that you don't need that ifconfig thingie.

>> (you do
>> realize that the above runs /usr/bin/true *instead* of /etc/qemu-ifup, I
>> hope).
>Actually: no (since I am no big shell script hacker). Old simple
>that I am, I believed it said, "Yes there is a script at the
>default place /etc/qemu-ifup. Do use it."

Well, there is a man page for qemu, and it's quite clear about what the
argument to 'script=' means.:-)

--Per