Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:04:21 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Support (was Re: Netscape browser )

Brian Adkins wrote:

> At 06:58 PM 3/22/99 -0700, Brett Taylor wrote:
> >Chris Coleman and I, with others, started Daemon News.
[snip]
> When I was evaluating FreeBSD (just last week), one of the things that
> *really* impressed me was the response time on answers to my newbie
> questions.  I was stuck on something at 4:00 am. EST and I fired off a
> question to freebsd-questions and got several responses that solved the
> problem in less than an hour!  I've had technical support contracts from
> IBM when I worked on mainframes and from Microsoft and I've *never* had
> such timely support. In fact, even though my company was paying something
> like $16,000 per year to Microsoft for support, I inevitably solved the
> problem through much pain before Microsoft would get back to me with
> someone that had any degree of clue.

Can we use this as a 'testimonial' quote, Brian? It's actually rather
normal, because there's another advocate out there named Doug White
who's supported by his graduate advisor (God, it's been five years now.
Are you a PhD yet, Doug?) and many others who make it their 'business'
to support FreeBSD.

> I'm relatively new to open source operating systems and I've been thinking
> about the factors that are relative to the success or failure of operating
> systems.  I've come to the preliminary conclusion that the rules of the
> game are *very* different for open source OS's.  With commercial endeavors
> such as Windows NT or OS/2, I believe it's more of a zero-sum game.  In
> other words, a win for one commercial OS is a loss for another.  With open
> source OS's, I feel it's more a case of "all ships rise with the tide".

We agree. Linux guys and our developers routinely talk, and each borrows
from the success of the other. The Linux kernel development team, for
example, is discussing building a "core" team to manage the development
with the same kind of release logistics.

> Does the success of another free OS hurt FreeBSD?  Are people concerned

No, not at all. FreeBSD is growing in prominence because of Linux'
publicity. Our guys are out there pushing, and it's usually now 'Linux
or FreeBSD'.

> with the amount of PR and momentum that Linux is getting?  If marketing and
> momentum made a good operating system then Microsoft's OS's would be the
> best - right?

ROFLVVH... sigh. I have  pet metaphor that I like to trot out in tiimes
like this. Microsoft and Sun and AOL are the big Dinosaurs, stomping
around trying to achieve and hold Market Share. We are the small furry
mammals. Some of us may get stomped on, but eventually we will pick
their bones as carrion. There will ultimately be a realization among
users that free software (whatever the 'brand') offers as much and much
much more of what they really need: dependability and adaptability to
their needs. Very few users will become kernel developers (I'm
definitely not one... yet), but it will become important too them to
know that there are hundreds out there all over the world snooping the
code for bugs and inefficiencies. Can you think of a better test for a
firewall's security than to withstand attack from crackers who have the
_source_code_?

> Maybe I should ask a fundamental question.  What is the goal of the
> advocacy group specifically, and the FreeBSD organization in general?  Is
> it to attract as many ISV's as possible?  Is it to run on the widest
> variety of hardware?  If it is, then I totally misread the philosophy of
> this group and probably picked the wrong OS ;)

FreeBSD is specifically optimized for i86 hardware. There are two ports
in development for others, but we leave portability to our NetBSD
_friends_. We are looking for ISV's to port, of course, and we are
looking for hardware suppliers, _of_course_, but the primary job of all
of us is to get the word out about one of the greatest gifts mankind has
ever given itself. Raising visibility is a major effort, and very few
get any compensation beyond gratification (and a better OS) from adding
to the user base.

We are also here to help each other maximize our benefit from the
software, by starting efforts that make it easier to use and better. The
FreeBSD Project itself has three main goals: to keep it from coming
apart and to keep improving it and to keep the user base growing. Walnut
Creek CD-ROM, a major sponsor of the Project, would obviously like to
sell more CD-ROMs but their support goes far beyond that. They are very
close to hiring an outside consultant to promote FreeBSD as a job.

One thing the Project is NOT, and I think I can speak for everyone, is a
commercial effort. It is and always will be a free operating system. The
BSD license is specifically designed to allow people to build Yahoo!s
and even to repackage BSD and call it FUBAR if they choose. That is
fine. In our view, only the rich have the free time to be
philanthropists, so we are glad when somebody makes a bundle through the
use of FreeBSD. One of my personal efforts is to increase the visibility
of FreeBSD in the former Soviet Union and China. Having visited both
places, I know how much it can help them to bootstrap themselves out of
disasters caused by their governments. (not that we don't have the same
need here!)

My personal goal is nothing short of making payware obsolete for
anything other than specialized purposes.

> Brian Adkins

As Kirk McKusick says, welcome to the BSD community, Brian!
--
Donald Wilde              "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media