Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 18:46:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PPP curious behaviours

Hi.

Since I get my ppp connection up, user ppp is causing me some problems...

I already posted some questions about these but got no or answers rather
out of range.

When I boot up, I get a ppp daemon running in bkgnd. (ppp -auto provider)
Now, it's working fine alright, and I can use other comm software until I
awake ppp for the first time (via lynx or ftp, or ...). After ppp is
awaken, I can't get it to let the line loose.
Sometimes it's starting without reasons,
sometimes just after I disconnect it,
always when I start Pine,
not when I use mail,
sometimes when I start minicom...

(nice little song uuh?:)

When I use minicom, ppp tries to connect, and minicom can't do nothing but
watch text pass by and ppp shouting. Shouldn't minicom get a lock on the
modem or something like this?

Pine is another bug. I haven't set it to check mail on the remote (I use
fetchmail) specially cause I wanted to read my mail without getting on the
phone line... What's causing this?

I have a disconnect script to shut up ppp, and it's doing its job. When I
use it, I hear the modem hanging up. It looks like this:
#! /bin/sh
# Disconnects from the internet

exec /usr/local/bin/fetchmail --quit
exec pppctl /var/run/internet set timeout 300\; close
I think I've found this in the handbook. The fetchmail stuff is my adding.

I got to kill the ppp daemon via top in order to free my phone line. This
is extremely bugging, any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you!!!

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |