Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:49:29 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Magiera <mark@hyow.eu.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: polling(4) rocks!

--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 05:51:24AM -0000, Mark Magiera wrote:
> > Why can some NIC use polling and others not ?
> >
> > eg I went to turn on polling on my BCM5782 Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit
> >    Ethernet Card. And bge(4) doesn't mention anything about polling.
> >
> > Is it a hardware feature of the NIC ?
> >
> >  - aW
> >
>=20
> >From `man 4 polling`:
> SUPPORTED DEVICES
>      Polling requires explicit modifications to the device drivers.  As of
>      this writing, the dc(4), em(4), fxp(4), rl(4), and sis(4) devices are
>      supported, with other in the works.
>=20
> This seems to suggest all hardware supports it, just some drivers don't at
> this/that(2002) moment in time.
>=20
The polling(4) in -CURRENT has much more devices supported:

: Device polling requires explicit modifications to the device drivers.
: As of this writing, the dc(4), em(4), fwe(4), fxp(4), ixgb(4),
: nge(4), re(4), rl(4), sf(4), sis(4), ste(4), vge(4), and vr(4)
: devices are supported, with others in the works.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov
ru@FreeBSD.org