Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 10:35:48 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        olsenc@smokey.ee.washington.edu (Clint Olsen)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scsi(8) requested output here

Clint Olsen stands accused of saying:
> > This has nothing to do with the MD21; you can't edit a disklabel if
> > there isn't one there yet.  You'll have to write one out first.
> >
> > disklabel -w -r sd0 <random>
>
> It would be nice if somewhere this little fact was DOCUMENTED IN
> THE FAQ!!!!!  <-------  CLUE CLUE CLUE

It would actually be nice if someone would sponsor me a working holiday to
write a _real_disk_editor_, or write one themselves.

Hey, maybe with the experience fresh in your mind _YOU_ could write the
FAQ entry?  After all, they don't just magically appear, do they? 8)

> You know, I really hate to bitch, but did it ever occur to anyone
> that one might want to create a label by editing it first?????

Yeah, about every other time I answer this question 8(

> > Pick a label at random from /etc/disktab, and then use disklabel -e to
> > correct it.
>
> Thanks for the heads up on this, but I would like to point out that
> the above advice can cause problems.  Just picking any old random
> entry from disktab caused us no end of grief.  You pretty much have
> to get the values correct the first time you write the label because
> disktab bitches when you try to relabel the disk (and will not let
> you) when it happens to move the "c" partition significantly.  Once
> we were able to clobber the existing label, using dd, we were able
> to rerun disklabel.  We were forced to deal with the cryptic nonsense
> of disktab.

I've never had this problem; then again, I normally start with a small
label and grow it, wheras I suspect you were starting with a big one and
shrinking it.

> So, is there a way to use scsi(8) commands to have a disk spew back
> data about its physical characterstics (heads, sectors/track, blah
> blah)?

You want the BIOS parameters, not the (bogus) parameters that the disk
will give you.

> I just cannot imagine how much fun this would've been if I had
> intended to split up the disk between DOS and FreeBSD.

Trivial, once you understand what's going on.  However, understanding
what's going on is not a reasonable expectation, so something needs to be
done.

> -Clint

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[