Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 1995 21:07:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
Cc:        jc@irbs.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 update

On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, John Capo wrote:

> -Vince- writes:

> > > Just did that to two of my systems.   Almost all -current utils
> > > work fine with a 2.1 kernel.  mount_nfs was one that didn't.  When
> > > I discovered that I built nfsiod and nfsd and booted the 2.1 kernel
> > > again.  ps, pstat and top are some others that won't work.  Once
> > > I had NFS going I just did a make world.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, so will sup actually upgrade the system to 2.1 sources?
>
> The source tree for -stable is available via sup.  -stable will be 2.1
> very shortly.  Look at /usr/src/share/examples/sup/*stable*.

	I'll take a look at that so I don't really need to reinstall from
floppies?

> > > diff -r /etc /usr/src/etc is one way.  -current and 2.1 are pretty
> > > close /etc wise.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, I mean like I noticed that -current had alot of updates on
> > /etc which I am still using the 2.05R /etc files with a few updated but
> > what do I do after the diff command?
> >

> Yeah it does, more than I thought.  Basically you have to merge in
> any changes you have made to your /etc files.  Most likely candidates
> are passwd, group, rc, rc.local, sysconfig, sendmail.cf, and ttys.
> Save the files you have modified or the entire /etc direcctory.
> Update /etc by hand or look at the distribution target in
> /usr/src/etc/Makefile.

	I know what you mean but what does the > and < and other stuff
mean from the diff output?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan Fan Club Mailiing Lists Admin