Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:37:50 -0600
From:      "Brian C. Grayson" <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /var/mail mode changed???

  I did an install of FreeBSD today, and it clobbered permissions
on our NFS-mounted /var/mail (changed the group to 6, which
doesn't map to anything on our other machines, and changed
permissions from 01777 to 0775).  Is there any way of controlling
whether or not the install should do this?  It's a bit
disconcerting, as after the change mutt is not able to read mail
without overriding dotlocking, which might confuse the average user.

  I realize 01777 isn't the safest setting, but it works for us
on our collection of operating systems and mail clients and
daemons.  Maybe the install could prompt if it saw an existing
/var/mail that was NFS-mounted???

  TIA
  Brian