Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:57:33 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        rcramer@sytex.net
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: T1/T3 Upgrade Options?

At 08:49 AM 7/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> Well, I wasn't going to do this, and probably shouldn't have, but here's
>> the situation.  We all know that you can use the ET-Inc card or the
>> SDL card for T1 routing... But does FreeBSD have ANYTHING available with
>> a HSSI interface yet?  We've already bought one Cisco 7010 and the $60,000+
>
>Yes.  Both SDL and DEC have cards available.  If you need particulars, or
>are not a system integrator, you may email for more particulars.
>
>> we've spent "configuring" it, (Ie: Base unit, 2 100 Megabit ethernets, and
>> one HSSI port) could have been much better spent I think.  I would be much
>> more willing to "take my chances" on a $55,000 savings versus the ~$500
>> savings your talking between a Cisco 2501 and a FreeBSD router...

This should depend on your traffic....a T3 router is carrying a LOT more
data and
you could be out of business faster also!

Just to know that we can do at least 10Mbs on a clocked down T3 via V.35
(Digital link make a CSU)...if you're metered and running full T3 we can't
do it (yet).

A major factor to consider is that its very difficult to do 86Mbs (T3 is
full duplex)
with an addon card on the PCI bus because the sustained throughput rate
is often pretty low. Other bus masters (ethernets, for example) will futhur
reduce the burst capability. While PCI bursts to 128MB/s, very few PC
products have sustained throughput rates over 100Mb/s. If you have a
100Mbs ethernet card on the same bus (you'd have to) the number is
cut in half. plus bus masters can't be controlled so you have contention
issues.

Dennis