Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:57:45 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Do we want the _SYS_SYSPROTO_H_ junk?

Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> wrote:
> * Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org> [020227 14:39] wrote:
> > Since obviously, by nature, all the code for syscall declarations inside
> > #ifdef _SYS_SYSPROTO_H_ is bogus, is it truly useful to use it on new system
> > calls, or should we not?  I think it's worth having an entry in style(9) for
> > system calls, and want to know what should be there regarding this.  It
> > seems the struct foo_args /* structure members stuff */ *uap; stuff is at
> > least also consistent with what is similarly done with vnode operation
> > declarations.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think there's more important stuff to worry about than this.
>
> I also find that SYSPROTO helps when making syscall modules but
> I'm  not sure what you're getting at so I'd apprecciate it if you
> held off whatever your plans are for a day.

I want to know if, on new code, we should put them.  E.g.:

#ifndef _SYS_SYSPROTO_H_
struct open_args {
        char    *path;
        int     flags;
        int     mode;
};
#endif
int
open(td, uap)
        struct thread *td;
        register struct open_args /* {
                syscallarg(char *) path;
                syscallarg(int) flags;
                syscallarg(int) mode;
        } */ *uap;
{

The first part, if ever actually called into existence by sysproto.h not
being included, would be bogus.  Do we want to keep introducing those?

  <> green@FreeBSD.org  <> bfeldman@tislabs.com      \  The Power to Serve! \