Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:38:37 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        fbsd_user <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: have bad stab causing boot error

On 2006-01-12 15:20, fbsd_user <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:03 AM, fbsd_user wrote:
>> fstab is bad and boot drops me into "manual root filesystems spec"
>>
>> I answer ufs:ad0s1a
>> and get these messages
>>  "warning / was not properly dismounted"
>> "warning R/W of / denied. filesystem is not clean  run fcsk"
>>
>> when I enter fsck command nothing happens.
>> What is procedure to follow here???
>
> 	Once it asks you for your shell in single user mode, you either
> choose it or just press enter for /bin/sh, and then you want to do
> this:
> # mount -o rw /dev/ad0s1a / #mount -a works nicely here too.
> # /sbin/fsck /dev/ad0s1a

Careful with the order of those commands.  You are *NOT* allowed to fsck
a filesystem that has been mounted as read-write.  You also missed an
invocation of adjkerntz, which is pretty much mandatory for getting the
timestamps of files right.

The correct thing to do, would be (comments in parentheses):

        # adjkerntz -i			(adjust kernel time)
	# fsck -p			(check all filesystems)
	# mount -u /			(mount root fs as read-write)
	# mount -a			(mount all other filesystems)