Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2013 00:27:48 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   zfs upgrade hang

Hi,

Seem to be having an issue with "zfs upgrade" hanging.

Please note that "zpool upgrade" seems to be fine... it's "zfs upgrade" tha=
t hangs.

The system is 8.4-STABLE @ r255470M amd64.

The dataset versions prior to upgrade are 3 and after upgrade are 5.

It doesn't always hang. But once it does, it's always in the following ^T s=
tate:

	tx->tx_sync_done_cv

You can let it sit there for minutes or hours, but it never completes or en=
ters a
different state. Also, you can't Ctrl-C it, you can't Ctrl-Z it, you can't =
kill it, not even
with `-9'. Further, anything like "zfs list" will hang. All the meanwhile, =
the filesystem
is readable and fine.

The sure-fire way to hit this for us is to attempt a "-a" or "-r" or "-ra" =
to do many datasets
at once.

However, doing one dataset at a time will work... until it too leads to the=
 same state.

Once we hit this state (hung upgrade) we have to reboot.

We've been able to get through all the datasets on a box by doing one-at-a-=
time and
rebooting when one hangs and ends up in this state but it's frustrating bec=
ause we can
usually only do a handful at a time before hitting the problem.

Scripting it won't help.

Also, we've tried unmounting the filesystems prior to upgrade too, that did=
n't help.
Updating libraries/binaries to r255747 didn't seem to help either. I guess =
next step is to
update the kernel to latest stable/8 (which is probably not far ahead of r2=
55470).

Advice?
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.