Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:06:00 -0800
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
Cc:        Wesley Shields <wxs@csh.rit.edu>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPDATING - needs updating?

On Monday 21 November 2005 12:57,  the author Ion-Mihai Tetcu contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: UPDATING - needs updating?:

>On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:13:35 -0500
>
>Wesley Shields <wxs@csh.rit.edu> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:39:55AM -0800, Vizion wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have noticed that some earlier notices relating to some ports  in
>> > UPDATING appear as though they have been made out of data by newer
>> > notices (e.g  kde 20050804 seems to replace 20050324) and sometimes
>> > the instructions conflict with one another. While I presuime the
>> > latest notice always takes precedence I wonder if it would be
>> > possible to have notices that are no longer current removed from
>> > UPDATING.
>>
>> I think this is probably a bad idea, simply from a historical
>> perspective.  If I wanted to chase down a bug that was available only
>> for a specified time period I would like to know the corresponding
>> UPDATING entries.
>
>there are enough old machines out there for which the "old"
>instructions still apply; in some cases it might not be able to update
>w/o intermediary steps.

Interesting perspective..

You have got me wondering if a web interface could be used to drag relevant
data from UPDATING based upon the output from pkg_info?

That could be another practical tool that might come out of the GoFigure
project.

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.