Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 00:22:51 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        se@FreeBSD.ORG (Stefan Esser), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice sought on PnP configuration

>From The Desk Of Luigi Rizzo :
> >
> > On Jul 30, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> > > HOWEVER: this relies on the PnP (or PCI for what matters) BIOS to
> > > work correctly (which might be false, see at the end of the message).
> >
> > Well, there are **lots** of non-PnP mother boards out there
> > (and I happen to own one, and for that reason I care :)
> >
> > Whatever solution we finally implement, we must be able to
> > attach PnP boards without any help from the PnP BIOS.
>
> Ok, so you are calling for a more powerful configuration mechanism,
> whereas I was trying to see if I could implement something much simpler
> which would not require user help, etc.etc.
>
> > What do you think about my proposed sequence ?
>
> I like it, the only problem is I am unable to implement it myself :)

You can . The gus pnp sub module does just that. For non-PnP
boards it takes the configuration information from the config
file .
---
device gus0 at isa? port  0x220 irq 11 drq 5 flags 0x7 vector gusintr
---
When the driver sees the configuration information for the card
it just simply overrides whatever the BIOS set the card to or
in the case of a non-PnP bios it sets the card to the desired configuration.

Just code up the driver as you planned and when you are done I can step in
and wrap it up.

	Cheers,
	Amancio