Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:31:39 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Ben Paley <ben@spooty.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Horrible: Apache corrupting files?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:17:47AM +0000, Ben Paley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Apache 2 running on FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE on a laptop on a small
> office lan. Whenever one of the other machines (mostly Macs) makes a request
> for a certain page on my machine, it is delivered succesfully but the file
> itself is absolutely scrambled beyond recognition into a binary file.
> Subsequent requests rescramble it into a different but equally nonsense
> binary.
>
> I've looked with a binary editor and it really is completely messed up. I can
> restore the file from a good archive copy, but every time the same thing
> happens.
>
> The file was originally created on a mac by Flash (it's a 1.1k html file which
> just embeds a flash movie). Recently I copied it to and from a Solaris box
> via ftp from an Windows NT machine (although it wasn't opened afaik - a long
> story, clearly, which also involves a usb flash drive...).
>
> Anyone have any ideas? The file itself is inconsequential, but the fact of
> such blatant and relentless data corruption is very worrying to me! I don't
> know if it's the file or my system or some combination... I'd really
> appreciate some advice, I've been staring at it for two days and I'm starting
> to bite my nails...

How about setting the permission so that the file can not be changed.
Then access the file and see if a process complains about not being able
to change the file?

P.S. I find it hard to beleave apache2 does this. I run apache2 myself
and don't have this.
--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.

Howtos based on my personal use, including information about
setting up a firewall and creating traffic graphs with MRTG
http://alex.kruijff.org/FreeBSD/