Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 1998 02:36:42 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-plus.net>
To:        "John Goerzen" <jgoerzen@alexanderwohl.complete.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD support...

From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@alexanderwohl.complete.org>

>Does FreeBSD have:
>
> * IP masquerading support?

Not really, we have NAT (network address translation)

> * Transparent proxying?

It's possible...

> * Firewalling/gatewaying?

Yes

> * DOSemu support?

Yes

> * Support for multiple ethernet cards in a single computer?

as many as you can stuff in a box

> * Any support (even read-only) for ext2fs?

Yes

> * Support for SCSI Generic devices, eg, for use with cdrecord?

Not sure why a CDR would be a generic device... FreeBSD has support for
CDR drives though

> * Support for removable SCSI devices (eg, the Iomega Jaz)?  And along
>   the same lines, support for connecting or disconnecting a device
>   to the SCSI card while the system is running?

Can't say for sure, but I believe there is support for all this...

>The idea here is to evaluate how well FreeBSD could replace Linux on
some
>of my machines.  At the moment, the package manager in Debian GNU/Linux
is
>a significant plus (really cuts down on admin time).  However, Linux's
>laptop support is weak -- I have FreeBSD on my laptop -- and it is, for
>variety of reasons, easier to have the same OS on all the machines.

I haven't used Debian's package manager, but I have used RPM.  I find
that FreeBSD ports is much superior to RPM.  I've heard the same from
many others as well.

I think that if you give FreeBSD a try in a server environment, you'll be
so happy that you'll give serious consideration to getting rid of Linux
entirely.  I've used both, and can say that I'd never look at Linux again
for a production server.

>Thanks,

You're welcome

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services