Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:49:40 -0400
From:      "Brian" <ircd@wrath.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: increasing throughput

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To: "John Angelmo" <john@veidit.net>
Cc: <net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 12:11 PM

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, John Angelmo wrote:
> > I was thinking of cunstructing a small routerbox in my sparetime. Now
> > since FreeBSD is my choise of OS i was thinking of a small box silent
> > box.
> >
> > So how can I combine speed, size, silence and price?
>
> I'm very interested in this type of product (meaning "Really small box
> that's essentially a complete PC, without having to build an enclosure").
> Here's a unit which I'm looking at (but, unfortunately, have yet to
> receive info on):
>
> http://www.advantech.com/products/Model_Detail.asp?model_id=1-8089T&bu=
>
> In case that doesn't work, select Network Computing/Network Appliances
> from the products popup, then Firewall Platforms.
>
> Any case, FWA-240 has a Celeron, 3 10/100 ethernet ports, a serial port, a
> DIMM slot, and a compact flash slot.  You can also apparently fit a 2.5"
> drive in it.  At 9"x7"x1.5", it's a bit bigger than I'd like to see, but
> still pretty compact.

Now that is pretty slick.  If you find out how much it costs let us all
know.

I've always built my own cases because it has always either not been
available or way too expensive to even think about buying.  However, I don't
expect the average information technology person to know what is in a
machine shop let alone how to use any of the items found in one.  If someone
had the time they could capitalize on this market without much effort.

> Later,
> scott

-Brian