Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:15:38 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Paul Skinner" <paulskin@icon.co.za>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2 queries  when I use my freebsd box as a dial-up router

>I have two questions...firstly how do I stop the system from not only
>trying to dial when I attempt to access the server itself  and not
>needing to dial. I setup a simple ppp filter in ppp.conf to deny it
>access to the dialer when I telnet into the server and it won't let me
>use telnet until its dialed in....

I ran into similar problems when I first got started with FreeBSD about a
year ago...

Most likey, what's triggering your dial-ups are DNS lookups.

You can stop the majority of seemingly-random DNS lookups, without having to
run a DNS server, by making sure all the computers on your LAN are listed in
/etc/hosts.

If you are running xntpd, you can stop it from causing a dialout using ppp's
filters:

# Prevent NTP (123) from causing a dialup:
 set filter dial 0 deny udp src eq 123
 set filter dial 1 deny udp dst eq 123
 set filter dial 2 permit 0 0

Take a look at inetd.conf and see what other servers are enabled, and do a
'ps aux' to see what daemons are running. You may find other programs which
also from time-to-time do DNS lookups (sendmail is notorious for this).

Try the /etc/hosts thing...hopefully, it will make your life a little
quieter!

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!