Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 1996 11:21:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel config part of /kernel

% Does anybody remember how kernels built with the 1.1.5 release always had
% a copy of its config file tacked onto the binary, that could be viewed
% with a quick "strings /386bsd|more".  Is this something anyone else would
% like to see back in the kernel builds?

> Me, for one.  I didn't want to see it go -- but it was shot down as a waste
> of memory for the stuff to be in there...  I found it useful and we did
> it at Pyramid in OS/x.
>
> (How about conditional compilation to config to allow/disallow it)

How 'bout sticking it in a segment the kernel loader won't put in
RAM?  Then it'd only cost a little disk space per kernel.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder