Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 02:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kshitij gunjikar <kshitijgunjikar@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP options related question

Hi All,
  I have a question related to record routes in the
FreeBSD code. In the
ip_dooptions() fn in ip_input.c there is this code in
the Record Route
option.

/*
 * If no space remains, ignore.
 */
off--;			/* 0 origin */
if (off > optlen - (int)sizeof(struct in_addr))
 break;
(void)memcpy(&ipaddr.sin_addr, &ip->ip_dst,
	    sizeof(ipaddr.sin_addr));
/*
 * locate outgoing interface; if we're the
destination,
 * use the incoming interface (should be same).
 */
if ((ia = (INA)ifa_ifwithaddr((SA)&ipaddr)) == 0 &&
    (ia = ip_rtaddr(ipaddr.sin_addr)) == 0) {
	type = ICMP_UNREACH;
	code = ICMP_UNREACH_HOST;
	goto bad;
}

1.   Why is the ICMP_UNREACH_HOST generated?

2.  Because if a route is not found, then am I wrong
in saying
ICMP_UNREACH_NETWORK must be generated. Also, how does
ip_rtaddr() find out
that the IP address is not of the directly connected
networks?

I'm sure something is wrong in my understanding can
somebody please point out.

Regards
Kshitij