Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:04:16 -0500
From:      Constantine Shkolnyy <stan@osgroup.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   MBR (Was RE: I just don't know...)

[SMTP:hamellr@dsinw.com]

> > > 	That's what /mbr does, it restores an orginal copy of the boot
> > > sector. Besides unless he has other boot managers in addition, there
> > > is
> > > no reason to not use it.
> >
> > Exactly. I just wanted to draw your attention that you people should
> > always add the above warning to your advices to use fdisk /mbr or
> > the machine may be rendered unusable. Get an unusable machine instead
> > of machine with F? prompt - this is not what he wants :-)
> >

> "original" mbr, er, wouldn't that mean that FreeBSD saved a copy of
> the mbr and that Winblows knew where to find it and restore it? In
> the Wonderful World of Winblows it's a case of:
>
> original mbr == standard mbr == ONLY mbr.

When I said "original", I meant that one that existed before FreeBSD
boot manager. It's my opinion that any software product should provide
some means of "undoing" the changes it did to the computer system,
whenever it's possible. Of course, it is not possible to restore the
disk data that you agreed to overwrite with FreeBSD file system.
It would be fine to let the user simply delete the FreeBSD partition.
In the case of a boot manager, it would be nice if it could ask the user
whether he wants to backup the existing MBR to some place, before
re-writing it, so that the manager could be cleanly deleted in future.

At installation time, if the user has some ill-brained MBR, he
could find soon that his DOS/Windows doesn't boot. What should
he do then?